3.8.13

Denim On Denim




Has anyone ever told you, "never wear plaid and denim together or else you'll look like a farmer's daughter"? Or "denim on denim is so outdated"? I have been told, so many times. You know what, people who like to set rules on what you should and should not wear don't know better. During my poly days, some of my classmates told me wearing sneakers with a dress is weird. Look at them now, decked in Supergas and skater dresses (ironic?). Initially I was embarrassed by people's comments but eventually I learnt that your style is entirely up to you. In this post, I'm going to show you how denim can work with plaid and it's totally cool I promise.

Denim jacket - second hand | Plaid shirt - c/o Dressabelle (old collection)


The best way to layer denim on denim is to choose two separates of slightly different shades. As the texture of denim is naturally dense, the difference in shades will bring contrast and dimension. I like to wear my denim jacket with sleeves scrunched up for a more relaxed vibe. 

Denim dress - c/o Dressabelle (similar here)

My collection of denim dresses constantly expands because I simply love them for comfort, versatility and durability. I also look for special details like this one; it has an open back and exposed zipper which is great for me who doesn't like much of my chest exposed. It's also easy to transform your look from party to school appropriate with only an outer wear.


Creeper wedges - Underground

I think plaid shirts are staple pieces for everyone. You know how sometimes, like on your first day of school, when you want to look presentable without being overly attention seeking? A plaid shirt is the perfect thing for awkward/ uncertain occasions. Plaid shirts serve as cardigans to me because they're lightweight and perfectly okay to wrinkle. In this post I've worn them layered and tied around the waist. 



Vintage Cadali 'Taylor' watch - c/o Late Rabbit

The amount of bracelets I stack on my arm fluctuates from excessive arm candy to minimal, but 99% of the time I have my watch on. I am not picky with my watches except for: 1. It must be timeless looking and 2. good quality. Before this, the only ones I wear were my Casio ones. I am so excited to tell you all about my latest addition!

This vintage Cadali watch was gifted to me by Late Rabbit. All the Cadali watches from them were sourced from France! Its dainty leather straps, minimal watch front and crystal (at the 12 o'clock) is just beautiful. It felt strangely familiar when I first wore them on my wrist, as if it belonged to me all along. That's the kind of charm vintage jewelry express over time. 


Revlon matte lipstick in Wine Not


On a random note, my pixie is growing out so fast it's getting annoying. I jumped onto the hair pomade bandwagon recently and so far I have been enjoying the shine it gives. My boyfriend comments that I am slowly turning into a gentleman haha! So do I look like a farmer's daughter to you? You be the judge.


Photos by Gwen Pei