18.10.14

Urban Warrior


Mesh panel dress - c/o Dressabelle
Slit dress - c/o Oak And Bones
Earrings - H&M
Leather 'trash' bag - m)Phosis
Stilettos - borrowed

Every once in awhile, we all need a little empowerment. Whether we choose to channel an attitude through a bright red lip, or decide to slip into our beaten up sneakers because heels are really not worth the effort, it is as if with a single element of dress we could form a barrier between ourselves and the world. I felt especially inspired by the AWANG X HM collection. Okay let's put aside all that media rave for a moment, and think about just how powerful a statement the collection is trying to make. If you have seen the collection already, it would occur to you that the entire line, staying true to the AWANG aesthetic, is inspired by modern hi-tech sportswear. What really impressed me was its consistent grey colour palette (with the exception of occasional pops of accent colours) which pretty much represents the every day commuter; an individual part of the homogenous smart phone generation, quietly blending in yet a fighter of a mad rat race. The image of the Urban Warrior is practical, smart and very much a uniform. That's the look I'm trying to recreate today in my own style. What I love most about this outfit is the poofed up sleeves that subtly create a power silhouette...just what I needed to survive a rough week. To streamline a top heavy proportion, I layered a slim fitting dress underneath with slit zipper details to match my sweater. And knowing me, I love unexpected details. Finished look with costume jewellery and stilettos, because why not?